Care for Your Jewellery
Steffans was founded in 1976 by Steffan Suter, over the years Steffans has grown successfully taking on between 40-50 brands.
Our motto is "Love Service Love Steffans" we pride ourselves with this motto and want to give you the best advice in caring for your quality products. By taking care of your jewellery/watches your are maintaining the life span of the item. Each item is individual but as a general guide we advise the following:
- We would advise you not to wear products in water or swimming pools or bring them into contact with chemicals such as perfumes, chlorine, lotions, tanning products or aerosols etc. As this can lead to items tarnishing/discolouring or stones falling out of item(s) and our brands are unable to replace them as this is down to wear and tear not a manufacturing fault. If you wish to wear perfumes etc we suggest you apply them first and give roughly 10 minutes before putting on your jewellery or watches.
- We advise not to wear jewellery or watches when exercising, however some sports watches are designed to be worn during exercise, please check before doing so.
- Store items separated in an appropriate place where it is less likely to be damaged. e.g a Jewellery box. Jewellery boxes, if left too long in a jewellery box Silver jewellery may tarnish we advise you gently rub gold and silver jewellery with a soft, clean jewellery cloth preferably a silver cloth for silver items and gold cloth for gold. This maximises the shine of the product. Do not use cleaning cloths of gold or rose gold plated items. Jewellery boxes and cleaning cloths are also available to buy.
- Do not pull or tug at items such as bracelets or chains/necklaces with force as this may cause the item to break/snap.
- Don't use abrasive cleaners on jewellery as this can permanently tarnish metals.
- We suggest you keep chains fastened so that they don't get tangled up.
- For high value items it is advised that you have a detailed insurance valuation for your jewellery.
- We advise automatic watches to be kept active in order to function correctly. Watch winders are available for sale.
- All our watches come with a 2 year guarantee (excluding pre-owned watches which have 1 year guarantee).The guarantee covers manufactured faults within the face of the watch so therefore the bracelets and leather straps are not covered. The guarantee does not cover water damage so we advise that the screw down crown is always screwed in correctly, when one is fitted.
- Swarovski Jewellery is costume jewellery and we advise not to wear on a daily basis.
- We advise that non Pandora beaded charms are not to be put on Pandora bracelets as some can damage the screw fitting on the bracelet end, this will also void the 12 month guarantee Pandora provide for the bracelet.
- Stone set jewellery should have its settings checked every 12 months.
- Pearls should not come into contact with hairspray, perfume or other chemicals and liquids, store in a separate pouch to avoid being damaged.
- If an item has been engraved we are unable to resell it in new condition. As such we are also unable to offer an exchange or refund on any item that has had any form of engraving. Please ensure that if you are unsure about an item or its size that you try it first, before having it engraved. This way you can avoid any disappointment.
- If you wish to have your jewellery cleaned professionally we advise you use a goldsmith who provides the service. Steffans have an onsite goldsmith who provides this service. Please call us for price information 01604 622090.
- Please note Pandora leather products have a 30 day guarantee period.
- Please note that Links of London Friendship bracelets have a 3 month guarantee period.
All items come with a guarantee but if your item is mistreated the guarantee may become void. Unauthorised work within the guarantee period will also invalidate the guarantee.
If for any reason you need to return your item, please visit our Delivery and Returns page.